BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Geniuses Unite: The Intersection of Hip-Hop and Science




Urban Science Education for the Hip-Hop Generation
by Christopher Emdin


Geniuses Unite: The Intersection of Hip-Hop and Science

GZA and Neil Tyson are two black men, both products of New York City public schools, both science enthusiasts, and each with very different experiences as young schoolchildren. As I spoke with each of them, I reminisced on my own experiences as a black male in NYC public schools and the many obstacles that I had to overcome before I was able to see myself as a scientist. I immediately thought of the youth that I work with in urban schools that are deeply engaged in hip-hop, and are disengaged in school. For these youth, and those who want them to be successful, there are five lessons from the exchange I had GZA and Neil deGrasse Tyson that can support us in opening up the world of science to youth.

1) Genius is not always defined by academic success
2) Exposure and environment is everything
3) It's never too late to reclaim your genius
4) You don't need to know all the answers ---Teachers may be the guide on
the side, not the sage on the stage.
5) Support more partnerships and make them public

If we agree that creating more STEM minded folks is a necessary goal, and youth who are unsuccessful in school are deeply engaged in hip-hop, partnerships like the one between GZA and Tyson, or research that explores the intersections of science and hip-hop must be embraced, and shared with the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment